Duluth Bikes Board Meeting
Meeting Minutes | Toasty’s
5.4.17 • 5:30pm
Present Board Members: Mariana Glitsos, Tara Sieve, Morris Levy, Alyssa Lommel, Jon Loye, Mike Casey, Ruurd Schoolderman, Shawna, Dick
Board Members Absent: Jenny
Guest Participants: Ben (community member) Sam, Clark, Ruth (app development team)
Called To Order: 5:32 pm
Additions to Agenda: none
Review April Meeting Minutes: Approved
1: Duluth Bikes App
- Q: Will it track off streets? A: Yes, it will track anywhere it goes.
- Q: Do you have a sense of how many users will be using this? A: The idea is for the club to assist with introducing it and sharing the stats. To collect age groups and demographics.
- Q: Will the app encourage more social connections? A: Yes, we’re still developing communication tools like messages and leaderboards.
- Suggestion: Have App partner with businesses so that if they ride so 100 miles, they receive a free coffee. Reply: We could work on developing a way so that it can indicate deals of the day or a kind of ‘treasure map’ that indicates deals nearby.
- Suggestion: Provide safe routes for riding and destinations.
- The app will not replace Strava, which is more fitness based.
2: Officer Updates
- Jon/Financial Report: Balance just over $2,000.00, 1 membership came in, and we paid Michael a fee.
- Q: Does BikeMN membership auto renew? A: No, they will send a renewal notice.
- Mariana: Bikeways Map is in its drafting stages and James from MIC will be reaching out to a working group to receive feedback.
- Ruurd: We will be going over advocacy priority meeting. Ruurd: Send out reminder of upcoming advocacy discussion.
- Tara: Availability for helping DB from now until June 20th will be extremely limited.
3: Bike MN & Bike Shop Fundraising
- New Chapter in Fargo/Moorehead
- Would we be interested in bike shop interest deals/they could help purchase advertisement in their newsletters/promotions. Approved
- ALL Committees: All committees must have a consistently set day/time for meeting by NEXT Board meeting in June. Determine a point person and take notes. This board is an active board, so if you feel like a different committee is a better fit for you so that you remain active, please communicate with Mariana.
- Advocacy: We need to re-group and set a consistent meeting time. Progress has been made with the county and the city on issues. Looking at next week as a way to refocus on the goals of this group.
- We need to recruit more members for each of these committees, we can use our facebook posts so that one week we focus on recruitment for each committee once a week.
- All: Post when committee meetings are happening and invite others to attend.
- Perhaps change the “Board Meeting” to a “Membership Meeting”–have the board meeting beforehand and then have membership meeting.
5: Review Board Directors
- Mariana find documents that had revisions for mission
6: Strategic Action Plan
- 1 Year Terms: Dick, Jenny, and Mike. Will need to be determine if they want to run.
- Dick will be done after his 1 year.
- Mariana will be moving and will no longer be able to attend.
- We need to start nomination process:
- Reach out to initial individuals who were interested and ask if they would like to consider running for the Board.
- Mariana: Send members a notice of accepting nominations for Board positions.
- All those considering to run for Board position, will need to apply by filling out a statement saying:
- 1) Why they are interested in being part of Duluth Bikes?
- 2) What knowledge, skills, and abilities they can contribute?
- 3) What positions would they be interested in and committee?
- August: Election for new Board Members. // October is first meeting of new Board Members.
- SAP Edits/Updates:
- Add: “Trails.” Change to “Advocate for Trails master plan.”
- At Draft: Invite Police Officers
- Feedback: This is a LOT of stuff. We don’t necessarily have the power to do most of these things yet.
- SAP Edits/Updates:
- October Meeting will be Duluth Bikes RETREAT. All members required. Date/location to be determined. Length of retreat will be approximately 4 hours.
7: Outreach Committee Action Plan
- Jon, Morris, and Michael must have an Outreach Plan prepared and ready to present at June meeting.
8: T-Shirt Pre-sale
- Through Duluth Screen Printing: 24 items needed to be ordered, but of anything. We must pick the items that are listed on the store.
- ALL: Send feedback to Shawna about what you would buy from online store.
9: Committee Update
- Advocacy: already done
- Outreach: we’ll re-group
- DRAFT: May 11th starting 5:30 (social hour) & 6:00 (presentations start) @Red Herring
- Needed: Ushers with Jason Hall-will meet him at Pier B, ride to Red Herring, speaking at Lincoln Park Middle School, then a Slow Roll in Lincoln Park
- Shawna: post needs, shifts, descriptions
- Needed: Set up at Encounter before Mayor’s Bike Ride and a Duluth Bikes Booth
- Mariana and Ruurd?
- Shawna: Create a Bike Rodeo Facebook page under Bus.Bike.Walk, then create event on facebook.
Shawna: Bike and Pedestrian Advisory Committee members needed.
Shawna: People for Bikes Conference in Madison, June 29-30th. $550.00, OR meet with Shawna to discuss strategic topics of interest
Meeting Adjourned: 7:12pm
Next meeting: 6.1.17 | 5:30pm| Toasty’s on Superior St.