June 23, 2016
Duluth Bikes – Events & Elections Committee
Attendance: Brian D, Dick H, Tara S, Mike C, Morris L, Jenny V, Alyssa L, Heather WW, Shawna M, Mariana G, Alec K.
- September Duluth Bikes Signature Ride
- Date set for Sunday, September 25
- Route – Brighton Beach to Clyde Iron – Lakewalk and CCT
- Destination at Clyde Iron – won’t need permit, more opportunities for food, drinks, games…
- Options for return to Brighton – Partner with DTA, Duluth Experience, etc for return rides. Once riders complete ride at Clyde, they get back to Brighton on their own??
- Option for secondary starting point – Endion, Rose Garden, 26th Ave E & Lakewalk
- Options for “tag” to show participation – tshirts, handlebar tags, bibs, etc
- Inquire with DPD for short, partial road closures – opportunity to use London Road bike lanes, Superior Street, Michigan Street PBL…
- Rest Stop Location options – East High School parking lot, Tischer Creek at Glensheen, Lakewalk & 26th Ave E, Leif Erikson Park, Endion Station, Bayfront, M&H, Bent Paddle – Clyde.
- Will need a strong volunteer participation – Volunteer Coordinator position?
- RIDE NEEDS A NAME!
- Current ride event committee – Mariana, Shawna, Tara, Brian
- Beginning search for sponsors
- Board of Directors Selection Process
- Board to be established July 7
- Brian to provide a final list of candidates
- Candidates invited to speak/meet/express interest for first half hour of meeting
- Elections Committee separate meeting following
- Final candidates must receive nomination and 2nd from EC members
- EC members vote for up to 11 candidates
- Additional rounds of voting for tiebreakers
- Top 11 candidates selected to board
- Location – Zeitgeist Dining Room/Conference Room, 3rd Floor
- Considerations for board positions in future – District Representatives, Representatives from Business, Gov’t, Elected Official, Law, etc.
- BikeMN Update
- The board chair of BikeMN is reviewing the statement of understanding between Duluth Bikes and BikeMN this week. BikeMN’s Chapter development task force is also reviewing questions and concerns Duluth Bikes and the BikeMN board expressed, including process for annual review of Statement of Understanding, Insurance Coverage, and branding.
- Other bike-ness
- Update from Mike C
- LHB now working on Master Plan for Western Waterfront Trail – Grassy point to Chamber’s Grove/Fond du Lac.
- Plans approaching for Lake Superior and Mississippi RailRoad corridor (LSMRR.org)
- Update from Mike C
- Corridor is in need of update – 3 potential outcomes – Train, Trail, or Train and Trail.
- Visit website or contact Mike for more info.
- Update from Dick on Campus Connector
- Stakeholder group working to designate a route connecting trail at Junction Ave and College Street to trail at Vermillion Road and Tischer Creek.
- Look soon for completion of multi-use paved path along College St between St. Scholastica and UMD!
- Upcoming Events
June 28 2-5pm Bike Fleet Training – Community Action Duluth
June 28 6-7:30pm CHUM Local Solutions to Poverty Forum
June 30 9a-12p Bike Fleet Training – Woodland Community Club
July 7 5:30pm Duluth Bikes Meeting – Zeitgeist
July 12 5:30-8:30pm Community Ed TS 101 – Ordean East
July 17 2-5pm Lincoln Park Meet on the Street
July 24 9a-12:30pm 3 Mile Smile
July 27 2-5pm Gary-New Duluth Bike Rodeo