July 18, 2016
Building for Women
Attendance: Brian Downing, Mariana Glitsos, Ruurd Schoolderman, Jon Loye, Michael Latsch, Mike Casey, Dick Haney, Alyssa Lommel, Shawna Mullen.
- Brand Statement and Bylaws
- The group discussed the feel of the language used in brand statement. If this is a public document, it was suggested that the language be less combative/assertive with the intention of not burning any bridges with potential influential allies in town.
- Addition of recreation component to complement transportation.
- Discussion of initial motivation for formation of Duluth Bikes: should we call out Superior Street as a specific example of a failed process and a top factor for the development of the group, or focus on generalizing motivation as it relates to street projects?
- Consideration of how the group is perceived: don’t be the sour grapes; concentrate on the FUN! Put ourselves in a position to make it easy to win others over.
- Brian to organize meeting to finalize Brand Promise. Ideal to have all of board and original DB members in attendance, as well as an outside facilitator. Try for mid-August or mid-September.
- Officer Elections
- First officer elections for the group were held.
- Discussion regarding term time for officers – 1 year or 3 years? Interest in including this language in bylaws.
- Via paper ballot, results of the elections are as follows:
- Chair – Mariana G
- Vice-Chair – Ruurd S
- Secretary – Tara S
- Treasurer – Jon L
- Strategic Action Plan
- Brian D to set up meeting with SAP Task Force to develop draft SAP
- Task Force includes Ruurd, Michael, Mariana and Brian – will have draft ready prior to full DB meeting for SAP and Brand Promise finalization.
- Brian to update SAP to reflect current status in Duluth.
- Group to create three standing committees:
- Events – bike rodeos, TS101, group rides, Duluth Bikes Bash
- Outreach/Membership – mass media, social media, membership outreach
- Advocacy – Comp Plan, Complete Streets, Transport Commission
- Outreach Committee to develop strategic announcement of group’s existence and goals to the public.
- Grand Avenue Ped Crossings – Duluth Bikes organizational support
- Mike has drafted a letter to MnDOT asking them to seek more community input for crossings planned for Grand Ave, and to inquire about consistency in infrastructure.
- Group discussed process for Board approval for signing onto letters of support as a group. These will be circulated to the board and can be approved by members via email in consideration of timeliness.
- Set regular BOD Meeting Time and Location
- Generally, 5:30-7pm works.
- Toasty’s has agreed to host Duluth Bikes meetings in their upstairs meeting room.
- Contact info for setting up meetings – Tom Hagen – 218-340-0739.
- Brian to share doodle for regular meeting day (i.e. first Thursday of the month)